Wednesday 12 October 2011

Portrait

Well well well... Looks like I can't even use my own site now. The reason being is that I've rearranged my monitors to a portrait setup and my resolution is now 3500 x 1080. Once again I've managed to get away with a 130 bezel correction as it's the same width the whole way around.

I made the stands today out of 2x4 and cut vesa 10x10 sized holes out of an old computer case side. I'll post some pics tomorrow to show you all.

I've tested it out with RAGE and DIRT 3 and so far its pretty cool. Even made a 6 screen grid that i can place windows in with a hot key using Winsplit (inc bezel correction). E-mail me if you would like to know how I did this.

The only issue I have is that as all the screens have been rotated 90 deg clockwise and therefore the top of the sets are now the right edge. With me so far? Now the problem is the vertical viewing angle of the screens. Try sliding down in your seat and look at your screen. Looks crappy and blackish doesn't it! Well that's what happens when I lean to the left. Thankfully my bed is to the right and the image looks great from there, but sitting here playing games, there is a distinct colour difference when playing games in a low light situation (bright scenes are ok). For example, when playing RAGE (AWESOME!) the gun is darker on the right screen than it is on the centre one. Soooooo my question:

IS THERE ANY WAY OF CORRECTING VERTICAL VIEWING ANGLE OF LCD SCREENS OR IS THIS A MANUFACTURING THING???


UPDATE 1:  How LCD makers lie to you about viewing angles (2007 but relevant)

In the mean time, here is a small selection of portrait backgrounds for people to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment